The Skin Pen procedure creates hundreds of micro- channels without ablation or introduction of thermal energy. Skin Pen breaks up pigment mechanically and stimulates the collagen formation without heat or the need of use of lasers. Removing heat from the equation making for a safer more comfortable treatment with a very low complication rate.
Skin Pen can be used on all parts of the body; face, neck, décolleté, arms, hands, legs, abdomen and back.
The Procedure is performed using a sterile cartridge tip containing 12 points attached to the Skin Pen. A topical numbing cream is applied prior to starting the procedure to ensure patient comfort. Then a topical gel is applied to your skin and appropriate pen setting based on your needs is set and pen will glide in one direction until the entire treatment area has been covered.
The Procedure takes 15-30 minutes depending on the size of the area treated. Immediately after the treatment you will notice a bright redness to the skin.
The Benefits of Skin Pen
The Benefits of Skin Pen are a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, hyper-pigmentation and hypo-pigmentation, acne scars, traumatic scars, stretch marks, and rejuvenated younger looking skin.
- Phase 1: Inflammation: Activated by piercing the dermal tissue, platelets release cytokines and growth factors which act as signals for the body’s immune system. Neutrophils and macrophages cells are sent in to disinfect the wounds, clear the debris, increase the blood supply and begin the creation of fresh, new cellular and extracellular materials.
- Phase 2: Proliferation: Fibroblast and Epidermal cells continue to divide to populate the areas of damage and secrete growth factors and extracellular matrix, such as elastin and collagen.
- Phase 3: Remodeling: The wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and the newly formed vasculature is now matured. The collagen in the newly formed tissue is now replaced with the stronger collagen and the tissue contracts to cause a “shrink-wrap” effect of the skin.
Typical post-micro-needling effects:
- Day 1: Mild to moderate swelling and redness, similar to a mild sunburn. There may be some mild bruising as well.
- Day 2: Some persisting redness may be present, but all redness, bruising and swelling should be diminishing.
- Day 3: Most redness, bruising and swelling should be nearly gone. Normal appearance with makeup may be achieved.
- Day 4: skin appears mostly normal at this point with some minor swelling.
You will receive instructions on the best ways to properly care for your skin post-procedure to ensure optimal results.
As a result, your skin becomes firmer and regains its elasticity while fine lines and wrinkles are reduced, pores become smaller and circulation is stimulated. The Skin Pen is indicated for surgical scars, acne scars, stretch marks, burns, fine lines, wrinkles, hyper pigmentation, hypo-pigmentation, uneven skin tone and helps to give you a smoother texture. Although a series of treatments is often needed, results can last for years leaving your skin rejuvenated, firmer, tighter and brighter.